Saturday, March 01, 2014

Back in the Game!

     Wow!  It's a bit depressing realizing I haven't blogged in almost 18 months!  I've never been great about updating, but never this horrible either.  What can I say life with six kids gets CRAZY and most days when we finally have a few minutes I end up falling asleep.  We lead such an exciting life, huh?  These days it's considered an all-nighter if we stay up past 10.

     While I would normally go over the several months since my last update, I feel 18 months is a lot to cover.  So I'll fill everyone in on the most important updates.  First, everyone is happy and alive!!!  So proud we made it through another year (or so) without killing each other.  Good job us!  A few years back we moved from Georgia to Utah.  We had been renting a house in Cedar Hills while we waited to see if we would stay here.  Good news is we decided to stay and we bought a home in July of 2013.  We love, love, love our new home.  Not to mention we won the lottery when it comes to our neighborhood.  The icing on the cake is that our church building is a two minute walk from our front door.  The kids love their new school (Faith - 4th grade, Emma - 3rd grade and Charlie - 1st grade) and all three have really great teachers.  Hyrum will be starting Kindergarten this fall!



     We got a dog last Feburary.  His name is Lucky and he is a miniature poodle.  We rescued him from  the pound and once again won the lottery.  He was already house broken and had some basic commands under his belt.  My favorite part though is that his breed doesn't shed!!!  I can not express how much I love this about him.  He also never gets that dirty dog smell.  He is great with all the kids and is a Momma's boy.  Even as I sit here typing he is curled up at my feet.  Despite the fact that all the kids begged to get a dog Charlie is the one who plays with him the most.  Love having him as an addition to our family.


     Shortly after moving Emma was baptized.  It was such a great day.  My parents and sister came out from California to be here.  Emma loved getting dressed up and being the center of attention all day.  So far she says her 8th birthday has been the best.  





In September of 2013 my parents surprised us all and put their house on the market and moved out here to be closer to our family.  While they looked for a new house and waited for it be finished they lived with us.  I think it was a growing experience for all of us.  They now live only 15 minutes from us.  I love that our children get to see their grandparents more often.  Plus the occasional free babysitting is nice too.  This past week the girls had a Father/Daughter dance at school and my dad joined the girls and Jason.  They all came home sweaty from cutting it up on the dance floor.  Such great memories being made.



In October of 2013 we were very happy to discover that we are expecting our seventh (you heard right) baby this June.  Originally I wanted to wait to find out the sex of the baby, but was out voted by everyone else.  So as a Christmas present I went and had an ultrasound and found out the sex of the baby.  Almost everyone was happy.  I had a good feeling I knew what we were having and I was right.  We are having another little boy!  Faith was devastated.  Her exact words were "Another turdy boy...NO!"  She has since embraced the fact that she will only have the two sisters she has now (at least till her brothers get married).  We also let the kids pick out the baby's name.  We'll reveal that once he arrives just in case we decide to change it.  They did a great job though and we were impressed.  




This next update needs a disclaimer on it.  If you are feeling especially sad or don't feel like crying I suggest stopping here and coming back at a later time......









Last chance!




    












     So on February 13 I had my 20 wk ultrasound.  Because of Payton's condition they always check hands and feet.  Unfortunately they couldn't get a good look at his hands and feet so they set us up to have a better ultrasound done on the 25th of Feburary at the hospital.  During this more extensive ultra sound we learned that our newest little boy appears to have the same condition as Payton.  

     I know that there will be many different feelings about this from people we know.  I know that some will be supportive, some will avoid the subject, some will judge us for having more children after Payton and may even feel we brought this on ourselves.  No matter how anyone else feels, we feel good about this.  He is healthy!  Besides his hands and feet he is developing normal in every other way.    We feel that he is a blessing for our family.  Not only will he have a huge support group surrounding him, but he will have a brother that will understand exactly what it is like to be him.  Someone who will understand how it feels to be different in that way and for that I am so very grateful.  
     I don't want anyone to think that we are going into this with blinders on.  We realize having two special needs children will be challenging at times, but I also know that if we stand together as a family and trust in God's plan for us we will make it through much stronger than we started.  This little boy is already loved so very much.  We are all very anxious for his arrival.  
     I know the next reaction will be to wonder if we are done having kids now.  The answer is yes, but not because of Payton or this current baby.  Being pregnant in my 30's is a lot more tiring than it was in my 20's.  I'm sure the fact that I have to run after six other ones adds to that.  We have decided that 7 kids is perfect for our family.  We feel very blessed to be the parents of such amazing children.


     The next big thing that is coming up is this Tuesday, March 4th.  Both Emma and Hyrum are going in for surgery to remove a Cholesteatoma from their right ears.  This will be Emma's first surgery.  After her latest ear infection she was sent to an ENT.  That is where it was discovered.  She is very nervous, but I know she'll be just fine.  She is a lot tougher than she gives herself credit for.  This will be Hyrum's third surgery.  Last summer he too was sent to an ENT after his ear infection wouldn't go away.  While there the doctor discovered a cholesteatoma in his left ear.  He was referred to a Pediatric ENT after that (Emma was referred to the same one).  While in surgery for his left ear (July 2013) they discovered he also had one in his right ear.  He went back in December to have the right one removed, before they operated on his right they decided to check on his left and see how it was healing.  Unfortunately the growth was back.  Because of this they made the decision to operate on his left again.  This next surgery will be to remove the one on his right leaving him almost completely deaf.  He will be receiving some fancy new hearing aids that he got to pick out.  Hopefully if the growths don't return he will be able to have reconstructive surgery done on his left ear before he starts school in the fall.  His right will be done sometime later this year hopefully.  As for Emma we won't really know how bad it is till they get in there.  We aren't sure when she will need (if at all) reconstruction.  
     I am so very thankful that they have such an amazing doctor.  The nurses and staff at the children's hospital are great as well and I feel they are both in good hands.  It will be a long day for them as well as for this nervous Momma.  Waiting to hear when they are out of surgery and how everything went always seems to take forever.  The only part Emma is looking forward to is the fact that she gets a week off school.  Personally I would rather go to school.

     In more upbeat news, Jason and I are doing well.  Jason works so hard to provide a great life for the kids and I and I am so thankful for such a wonderful husband.  I am doing the mommy thing.  My days don't vary much, but I'm doing what I always wanted.  I love watching my children grow up and feel so blessed to be able to say I haven't missed a thing.  I have been here for every first and I know just how lucky I am.  I am also planning on attending beauty school to become a makeup artist.  Once our littlest man is old enough I will be taking night classes.  So nervous and so excited to go back to school.


I always love closing with some of my most favorite recent moments.   So here you go:









0 comments: